Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My Man

Last Friday, I got a text from my friend Lisa, encouraging me to read a daily devotional that we both get. I tend to read them if I'm grabbed by the first line or two, since I spend my morning quiet time going through my Experiencing God homework, but she said this one was worth my time, so I finally got to reading it this weekend. At the same time, I was finishing out a book series by Karen Kingsbury that deals with a lot of relationship issues & pitfalls, as well as the ways to combat those problem areas. I was extremely convicted and challenged by both sources, and it made me think God was trying to get my attention!
The subject was about lifting up & encouraging our husbands verbally so that they know we have confidence and trust in their leadership within our homes. As I read the book, I was reminded that while men are born to be leaders, it is really the wife's job to ENCOURAGE that leadership by speaking life & love into her husband's role. The author of the devotional (Tracie Miles) also mentioned this little tidbit that really got me shifting in my seat:

"Along the way I subconsciously created a measuring stick of expectations for whether my husband actually deserved my love and respect."

Wow, huh?! How often do my unrealistic expectations of Keith cause me to speak angry, frustrated, or sarcastic words that ultimately make him feel as if he's let me down? Instead, both authors suggested forgiving easily, speaking encouragement, and serving your spouse as just some of the ways to combat those initial selfish responses. I am really trying to pray through that each day so that when Keith gets home (and whenever I talk to--or even text--him throughout the day), God helps me tame my tongue and instead places compliments, praises, and TRUTH for Keith.

He's doing such a great thing by allowing me to stay home with our girls, and I need to remind him how much I appreciate him for that, and for everything else he does for me & our family!
I would encourage you to join me in this challenge, as I think the more women can re-claim the role spoken of in Proverbs 31, the better off our marriages, our families, and our communities will be!

No comments: